Seabrights Barn Opens

The Clerk and Parish Councillors were invited to attend the opening of Seabright’s Barn on the 8th February. This grade 2 listed building, standing by the junction of Galleywood Road and Deadman’s Lane, had stood derelict for some years. During extensive renovation, the roof tiles and wall cladding were removed to reveal the solid oak beams that have supported the structure for around three hundred years. Some of the roof tiles, valued at over £1700, were stolen from a barn on the site during the operation. The subsequent transformation into a Public House and Restaurant makes a brave attempt to retain the traditional character of this historic building.

The development, costing over £700,000, naturally involved the construction of a large car park and the residents of Deadman’s Lane found some cause to complain at the increased traffic which followed the opening.