Darby and Joan retire gracefully after Fifty Years
- Category: 1999
Declining membership has compelled the Galleywood Over 60's club to close, after providing fellowship activities for Pensioners in the village for over fifty years. Starting life as the Darby & Joan Club, and meeting on Saturday afternoons, the first meeting was held in October 1948 with Mrs Chilcott in the chair. The wide variety of activities arranged over the years included outings, seaside holidays, handicraft shows, bazaars, luncheons, entertainments and many interesting speakers. The club became increasingly popular as the size of the village grew, reaching its maximum of 120 members in 1974 when Mrs Pollard was elected chairperson. For many years the club was supported by other village organisations who provided refreshments and served on the committee, although this arrangement came to an end in the late 80's. David Cook became chairperson in 1983 but membership started to decline during the early 90's as other interests took over and even the change of name to Galleywood Over 60's and meeting on a weekday failed to attract more members.
The club held its last meeting in September 1999 after serving the community for 51 years.
David Cook, Chairperson 1983-99