House fire tragedy prompts safety review

The tragic death of a pensioner suffering from a form of Alzheimer’s has prompted a review of fire safety precautions for people with dementia. Gordon Lee, 85, died at his home in Sharpington Close after unattended cooking is thought to have set his kitchen alight. When firefighters arrived at the scene the house was ablaze with smoke issuing from several windows. Mr Lee’s wife Maureen and a neighbour had already braved the thick smoke to drag him out of the house but despite resuscitation attempts by fire crews and paramedics he died at the scene.